Instructions for using FEMAs Map Search tool

To find your house on the Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM)

  1. Go to

  2. Click on the word "Maps" in "Flood Info, Insurance and Maps", under "Sections" to get to the "Map Service Center."

  3. On the MSC page, use the "Product Search by..." utility at the top, left of the page to find a specific address. [If you want to find map panels for a particular jurisdiction (parish or town), click on "Flood Maps" under "What are you looking for" in the center of the page.]

  4. The next page will list the map panel(s) that include the property at the address you entered. You may get a pop-up box that asks you to select your street from a short list of possible street names. On this screen you can choose to buy the panel or view the panel. To view the panel, click on the small magnifying glass at the end of the row. There is no charge to view the map and print a portion of it. Note: this system does not show you the location of your address on the panel.

  5. Pan and zoom to find your property. When you have found it, you can make a FIRMette. A Firmette combines into a single image the portion of the map you selected and the map-panel identifying information. It is produced as either a TIFF image or portable document file (PDF) and can be as small as a regular sheet of paper.

  6. A FIRMette is your official piece of the official Flood Insurance Rate Map. The FIRM is always used for rating flood insurance from the National Flood Insurance Program. The FIRM may or may not be the regulatory floodplain map for your community (local government).

3/24/2005 10:09:10 AM
Rate This Article:

Have a question or comment about the information on this page?

Innovate . Educate . Improve Lives

The LSU AgCenter and the LSU College of Agriculture