Remodeling an existing home or building a new home can be stressful. The State of Louisiana Licensing Board for Contractors has devised the following checklist to help homeowners when hiring and/or working with a contractor:
- Hire only Louisiana State Licensed or Registered Contractors. Commercial projects costing more than $50,000 require state license. Residential new construction of single family homes requires state license. Home improvement and/or remodeling costing more than $7,500 requires state registration. Hazardous materials or mold remediation costing more than $1 requires state license.
- Verify contractor license or registration number at 1-800-256-1392 or click here and search for contractor license/registration number.
- Get at least three local area references and review contractor experience.
- Get at least three bids on the work to be performed.
- Get a written contract, and don’t sign anything until you understand the terms of your contract.
- Pay 10% down, or $1,000, whichever is less, depending on project size and reasonable starting cost requirements.
- Don’t let payments get ahead of work completed. Keep a record of all payments.
- Don’t make the final payment until you are satisfied with the job.
- Never pay cash.
- Keep a job file of all papers relating to your construction project.
State of Louisiana Licensing Board for Contractors