Larger jobs require more help from professionals

Do you have several isolated jobs in need of repair? A leaky toilet or a crack in the wall would be considered small repairs while problems with the structure, or entire plumbing or heating system would be considered major rehabilitation work. Homeowners who have been accepted into the Road Home Program are generally in need of major rehabilitation work, and certainly if flood water came in above the floor level of your home, then you are going to need some major rehabilitation work.

It is always best to plan the whole job first. Even if you cannot afford all of the repairs, planning for the future work will help in the long run. After creating a "To Do" list, you may then decide whether a handyman, a specialized professional or an overall "General Contractor" is better suited for the job.


Handymen are best employed for minor repair jobs. Rather than calling several professionals and paying each a fee for their site visit, you may consider a handyman who is equipped to fix several unrelated problems. Handymen work by the hour and are knowledgeable in many areas of repair; however, they are not typically certified or licensed in any way so they require some checking to insure the quality of their work. Hire them for a limited scope of work (half to full day) and assess their performance.


If you have a large repair (i.e., replacing a roof, repairing a deteriorated plumbing system or painting the exterior of a house), you will need to seek professional assistance. Again, the best sources for recommendations are usually your neighbors, friends, and family. In the State of Louisiana, plumbers, electricians and HVAC (Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning) technicians are required to have licenses. Be sure you fully understand the terms of any contract before signing.

Be sure you read and understand The Construction Process.

12/29/2006 8:39:19 AM
Rate This Article:

Have a question or comment about the information on this page?

Innovate . Educate . Improve Lives

The LSU AgCenter and the LSU College of Agriculture