Calm jars are a tool used to lead kids through developing positive “self-talk” practices which can help boost confidence, optimism and motivation while decreasing negative thoughts and emotions.
- Glass Jars
- Decorations for the jars such as: Glitter, stickers, markers, etc.
- Print “calm cards” on colorful paper. You’ll see a few examples below, but get creative with your own ideas!
- Cut calm cards so everyone has one copy of each sheet.
- Set out your supplies.
- Have each youth decorate a glass jar in any way they wish.
- Fold the calm cards and put them inside of the jar.
- Talk kids through how to use the tool and ask them about the situations and emotions they’re feeling when they think this exercise could be useful:
- Sit in a calm safe space (like your bedroom or outside).
- Begin by taking several deep breathes.
- Take each slip out, one at a time, and read aloud while taking a deep breath.
- Use the cards to calm your stress, nerves or anger.
- Cards can also be used daily by selecting a new one each day.
From the 4-H Inspire Kids to Do Activity Guide.