4-H Summer Camp Chef/Kitchen Director
Description: The Grant Walker 4-H Educational Center seeks a Chef/Kitchen Director for 4-H camp located in Pollock, LA. Grant Walker serves as a 4-H summer camp to youth in 4th – 6th grade.
- Minimum 21 years of age.
- Current ServSafe certification preferred.
- Must complete the employee background screening process and be approved by the LSU AgCenter Human Resource Management Unit.
- Experience in institutional or large foodservice setting.
- Knowledge and experience in food service, which includes ordering, inventory, budgeting, food preparation, line serving, cleaning, and operating institutional/commercial kitchen equipment.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws concerning foodservice operations.
- Willingness to follow directions from Camp Director and Food Service Advisors.
- Ability to work as a team member.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to ask for assistance when needed or desired.
- Ability to interact with all age levels.
- Capability to relate to youth and young adults positively.
- Assist in the coordination of training for kitchen staff.
- Develop assignments for kitchen staff based on their area(s) of experience.
- Maintain a safe and sanitary environment for food handling, storage, and serving.
- Conduct weekly inspections of all kitchen equipment and facilities to ensure proper utilization, care, and maintenance.
- Report equipment/facility/food issues promptly to Camp Director.
- Work within approved budget provided to create food orders.
- Inspect, confirm, and assist in unloading food deliveries, supplies, and equipment.
- Communicate correct procedures, policies, and safe practices to kitchen staff.
- Must follow LSU AgCenter Grant Walker 4-H Educational Center policies and procedures.
- Adhere to mealtime schedules, clean-up, and prep-time policies.
- Be a positive and moral role-model to campers and staff in behavior and attitude.
- Follow daily meal plans for approximately 550 youth and adults.
- Clean, organize, reset kitchen, service areas, and dining area following each meal.
- Plan appropriate quantities of nutritious and healthy meals for youth.
- Plan individual meal plans for youth with severe food allergies.
- Supervise up to twelve kitchen staff.
- Ensure high-quality meal experiences for all attendees at camp.
- Other duties assigned by the Camp Director.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Effective visual and auditory skills.Be able to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards.
- Enforce safety policies and procedures.
- Be prepared to use all kitchen equipment on-site correctly and safely.
- Duties will include/require:
- Prolonged standing, bending, stooping, and walking.
- Hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate equipment.
- Heavy lifting.
- Extended exposure to heat.
- Irregular work hours on occasion.
Hours/Salary/Housing: Morning and evening shifts are available.Salary will commensurate with experience.Housing is available on-site, and workdays are Monday – Friday each week for ten weeks.The Chef/Kitchen Director will require worktime at camp before the camping season begins for ordering, kitchen set-up, hiring of kitchen staff, and menu review/planning.
Dates Available: Camp begins on May 18, 2020, and ends July 29, 2020. Camp is not in session the week of June 22-26, 2020.
Application Procedure: Must apply online at https://lsu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/LSU
Must submit a cover letter, resume, and two letters of recommendation to be considered complete.
Application Deadline: February 14, 2020, or until suitable candidate is identified.