Think 4-H Might be for You?
Here's how to Join the Club:
- Attend the 4-H Club meeting in your school.
- Review the 4-H materials given to you.
- Return the enrollment card to your club leader.
- Select a 4-H project book.
- Pay your $5 dues at your school.
Disability Awareness is our state and parish service-learning focus for the 2020-2021 year. Opportunities will be offered for you to participate in our statewide focus. Let's get busy making a difference in our community and state.
Holiday Card Contest Winners
- 1st Place - Jaylee Smith
- 2nd Place - Laila Lucas
Holiday Livestock Photo Contest Winners
- 1st Place - Emerson Tomlinson
- 2nd Place - Carlisle Tomlinson
4-H Junior Leader Holiday Paint Party
Members of the Junior Leader Club participated in a holiday painting party. Virtual members received packages of materials on their doorsteps earlier in the day, then completed all the activities together while on Google Classroom. Pictured above is Halee George portraying her masterpiece. 4-H members also had an opportunity to create reindeer ornaments for residents at the local nursing home.
4-H Senior Honor Cords
The 4-H Honor Cord has the following requirements:
- Must be a graduating senior.
- Must have 3 years of 4-H club work in high school.
- Must have participated in at least one state sponsored 4-H program within the last 3 years.
- Must complete required application.
- Application due: January 20
Valentine Card Contest
Create a card to be given to residents at Shady Lake Nursing Home. Bring your card to the February 4-H club meeting.
4-H Mardi Gras Mask Contest
The mask must be made by the 4-H'er! It must be made using the paper template provided by your 4-H agent. Divisions will be 4th-5th and 6th-12th grades. Awards in each division will be 1st Place ($15); 2nd Place ($10); and 3rd Place ($5). Masks are due February 19.
Scott Foundation Scholarship
Scott Foundation Scholarship applications are due by 4:30 p.m. March 2. Submit completed application to the 4-H Office.
Beef Poster Contest
The 2021 Louisiana Beef Industry Council Beef Poster Contest theme is "Green Beef." Posters must be on 22" x 28" poster board only. Place your name, address, age, grade in school, and parish/chapter on back, upper right corner of poster. The posters are due to the East Carroll 4-H Office by Friday, March 5.
- Division I: 4th-6th grades
- Division II: 7th-9th grades
- Division III: 10th-12th grades
- Division DIGITAL: Open division. All ages compete together.
Junior Leader Conference
The State 4-H Executive Board is excited about an opportunity they would like to provide our teens to "Walk Your Way to Leadership" during the 2021 JLC.
- The same one-day leadership event will be held from 9:45 a.m. - 4 p.m. on three days at three locations (March 11 in Shreveport, March 12 in Alexandria, and March 13 in Baton Rouge).
- Focused on developing the leadership skills of teens
- Targeting 8th-12th grades
- Our hope is for the teens selected to bring the presented information back to our parish.
- Our parish may send up to four teens (alternates may be registered in case COVID guidelines change).
- Pick the date/location of your choice to attend.
- You must provide your own transportation.
- Lunch will be provided, and all COVID-19 guidelines will be followed.
- Check Facebook for updates!
4-H Golden Clover Award
Applications for the 4-H Golden Clover Award for Junior 4-H members will be due on April 1. A club member may win the award only one time.
- Must be 14 years of age or under by January 1 of the club year application is made.
- Must have at least 2 years of 4-H club work, including award year.
- Must score at least 250 points on the application and scorecard.
4-H Emerald Achievement Award
The purpose of this award is to encourage project growth and to recognize a broad program of 4-H club members who have shown outstanding leadership ability in their club and parish. A club member may win the award only one time.
- Must be 15 years of age by January 1 of the year application is made.
- Must have 3 years of 4-H club work, including award year.
- Must have completed 1 year of active Junior Leadership work excluding award year.
- Must score at least 360 points on the application and scorecard.
- Application due: April 1
Upcoming Livestock Shows
- 2021 Northeast District Livestock Show -- February 3-6
- 2021 LSU AgCenter State Livestock Show -- February 12-20
- 2021 LSU AgCenter State Rabbit Show -- March 6-7
All shows will adhere to the LSU AgCenter and CDC guidelines. Best wishes to all livestock exhibitors!
Download a printable version of The Clover Journal January 2021pdf