4-H Poster Art Contest
- Posters may be made by any 4-H'er or by a club or by a team of club members.
- Posters may be horizontal only.
- Posters must be 14x22 inches.
- Name, address, parish and age of the 4-H member(s) should be clearly written on the back of each poster.
- 4-H is the topic of the poster.
- Well known cartoon figures cannot be used because they are copyrighted -- such as Marvel Super Heroes, Disney characters, Ninja Turtles, Lego characters, Pokemon characters, etc.
- Three dimensional objects or materials which extend 1/8 inch or more above the surface of the poster may not be used.
- The poster design must be original in design and layout.
- Deadline: April 8
Seven tips to reduce your risk:
- Don't use tobacco! Using any type of tobacco puts you on a collision course with cancer. Smoking has been linked to various types of cancer -- including cancer of the lung, mouth, throat, larynx, pancreas, bladder, cervix and kidney. Chewing tobacco has been linked to cancer of the oral cavity and pancreas. Even if you don't use tobacco, exposure to secondhand smoke might increase your risk of lung cancer.
- Eat a healthy diet! Although making healthy selections at the grocery store and at mealtime can't guarantee cancer prevention, it might reduce your risk.
- Maintain a healthy weight and be physically active! Maintaining a healthy weight might lower the risk of various types of cancer, including cancer of the breast, prostate, lung, colon and kidney.
- Protect yourself from the sun! Skin cancer is one of the most common kinds of cancer -- and one of the most preventable. Avoid tanning beds and sunlamps. These are just as damaging as natural sunlight.
- Get vaccinated! Cancer prevention includes protection from certain viral infections.
- Avoid risky behaviors! Another effective cancer prevention tactic is to avoid risky behaviors that can lead to infections that, in turn, might increase the risk of cancer.
- Get regular medical care! Regular self-exams and screenings for various types of cancers -- such as cancer of the skin, colon, cervix and breast -- can increase your chances of discovering cancer early, when treatment is most likely to be successful. Ask your doctor about the best cancer screening schedule for you.
Scott Foundation Scholarship
Scott Foundation Scholarship applications are due by April 25. Submit completed application by 4:30 p.m. to the 4-H Office.
It's time to register for 4-H U! 4-H members who were 13 years of age before January 1 are eligible to attend. 4-H U will be held June 18-21 at LSU. A $50 deposit is due by May 1.