During this time, it may be difficult to identify ways to volunteer or feel like you are doing your part to make your community better. However, now more than ever, it is important to find ways to stay active and engaged in community life.
Here are ten ways to serve your community from the confines of your home.
- Make cards or write letters to local first responders, deployed veterans through non-profit Operation Gratitude, or someone in need of additional encouragement.
- Ask neighbors to take part in a "virtual food drive" for a local food pantry in your area. Have your neighbors collect food in their own home, then provide them with the details on how to drop off their donated goods on their next trip to the grocery store.
- Clean out your bookshelf and plan to donate excess books to the local library, children's hospital, or daycare when deemed safe to do so.
- Sew medical face masks for healthcare workers and people in your community. Download this tutorial by Craft Passion.
- Track bird populations for the non-profit eBird. Take photos and record the sounds of birds that visit your backyard, then upload the information to eBird to help support bird research worldwide.
- Foster shelter animals or create a social media campaign to support a local animal shelter. Many animal shelters have had to cancel events, meaning fewer pets are being adopted out, even as animals continue to come in. Perform an internet search and find a shelter near you.
- Implement a live story time by reading books for children on social media platforms.
- Conduct 4-H project demonstration videos and share with others on social media platforms.
- Share your talents with others (singing, dancing, public speaking, gymnastics, artwork, etc.) via live streaming or video on social media platforms.
- Create your own service project by researching local non-profits in your area and contacting them to find a list of ways you can serve them by completing a project at home.
For additional ways to serve your community from home, please see our video.
Ideas to Act for the Common Good During Coronavirus Crisis. Youth Service America. Available at https://ysa.org/covid/
Twenty-Five Volunteer Jobs to Do from Home. Operation Warm.