Sweet Potatoes are in season and should be plentiful for the holidays! If you haven’t bought yours yet, be sure to call the Rapides Parish Extension Office to order yours today! Orders are due by November 15, 2019. Call 318 -767 -3968 for more information.
- 1-pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1/4 -1/2 cup water
- 4 medium sweet potatoes about 12-14 ounces each
- Cotija cheese, crumbled
- Diced tomato
- Diced avocado or guacamole
- Sour cream
- Diced red onion
- Bake sweet potatoes in oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 35-40 minutes, then slice in half lengthwise & fluff insides with fork.
- Brown ground beef, chopped onion, and garlic in large skillet over medium heat. Drain grease and add the taco seasoning and salsa.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook for about 5 minutes until mixture has thickened and is heated through. Add up to 1/2 cup of water to achieve desired consistency.
- Spoon the cooked taco meet over the sweet potatoes and add desired toppings. Enjoy!
Recipe Provided by: Quincy L. Vidrine, M. Ed, CHC.
For more information about this recipe contact Quincy Vidrine with the LSU AgCenter-Rapides Parish.