Cynthia Clifton | 8/14/2014 10:04:37 PM
Welcome Back to School Students!!!!! Now that the children are back in school, let’s fill their lunch boxes with healthy foods. Let’s learn how to build a MyPlate Sandwich healthy meal for your children lunches. All five food groups are going to be used in building a MyPlate Healthy Sandwich.
Here we go! Make your selections from the menu.
Grains – pita, English muffin, tortilla or whole grain bread.
Vegetables & Fruits – apple, banana, bean sprouts, coleslaw, cucumber, mango, onion, pepper (red, green or yellow), tomato, lettuce and pear.
Proteins – turkey, chicken, roast beef, hummus, cream cheese, tuna salad, salmon salad, egg salad and chicken salad (remember size of deck or cards for adults and half deck of cards for children).
Dairy – low-fat cheeses. Try using half amount of protein because of the cheese being added to sandwich.
Think of how healthy your children will be at the end of the school year if they eat healthy sandwiches or hot meal every day.
Here is a simple sandwich idea:
1. Cheddar cheese or American cheese and sliced apple
2. Salami, mozzarella, roasted red, green & yellow peppers with Italian dressing
3. Cream cheese, banana, peanut butter, blue berries and honey
4. Turkey, roast beef and coleslaw
5. Hummus, ham and cucumbers
6. Sliced roast beef, swiss or mozzarella cheese, grated carrot and mustard
7. Tuna, chicken or egg salad with raisins and sliced tomato
8. Chicken, tuna or egg salad on celery stick with sliced mango or strawberries
The LSU AgCenter and the LSU College of Agriculture