Volunteer Information and Enrollment
Volunteers are the heartbeat of 4-H. There are many roles and positions that provide important functions to help make 4-H programming happen! All volunteers must be registered and trained by the Parish 4-H Office. To learn more about volunteer positions see below:
- Club Leaders - Club leaders organize and hold 4-H meetings with their members. They work directly with youth on club educational programs and projects. They are responsible for member registration and dues. Club leaders may have their own volunteers.
- Club Helpers - Club helpers go to meetings and assist club leaders and members with their duties.
- Episodic Volunteers - Episodic volunteers help out once in a while. They may be needed for a large parish event, fundraiser, or field trip.
- Project Leader - A project leader is someone who has a specific skill set and aides club members in the completion of their project related to their skill set. Examples include fashion and sewing, woodworking, and more!
- Driving - All volunteers that transport 4-H'ers on behalf of the 4-H program, whether in their personal vehicles, rental vehicles, or AgCenter vehicles must be trained and certified. If you wish to become certified in preparation for a meeting or event, please contact the Jefferson Parish 4-H Agent.
- Overnight Chaperone - All volunteers spending the night for any 4-H event that includes youth must be background checked, trained, and approved well in advance of the event. To become an Overnight Chaperone, please contact the Jefferson Parish 4-H Agent. As a volunteer you are supported by the insurance carried by the LSU AgCenter for AgCenter events.
There are many training opportunities for 4-H volunteers, which include parish, regional, state and national events! Trainings include basic information on leading clubs and club activities to training for project clubs such as Shooting Sports. Membership is also available in Louisiana 4-H Volunteer Leaders Association as well as the National 4-H Volunteer Associations (VLA). Both have excellent conferences and retreats that feature feature hands on training as well as recognition.
Previously, volunteers would fill in an enrollment and submit to the Parish Office. As of August 2022, volunteers will use 4-H Online to register as a volunteer. Registration for 4-H Online can be completed at the site: 4H Online Sign In. Once registered, instructions for background checks will be given. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for any help.
For more detailed instructions, please download our Adult Volunteer Onboarding guide. Additionally, more information on 4-H Online can be found on our 4-H Forms webpage.