East Feliciana parish is known for rolling hills, piney woods, and beautiful pastures. Livestock enterprises include beef cattle, dairy, horses, and sheep and contribute over $14 million dollars to to the state's economy. This webpage will provide information related to livestock production, pasture and hay management, and upcoming events relevant to producers in East Feliciana parish.
Livestock producers attended the 2022 East Feliciana Cattlemen's Association Annual Meeting on November 17, 2022 in Slaughter, LA. Attendees heard information regarding pasture management from the LSU AgCenter and products and services provided by a new slaughterhouse, JC Butcherblock. For more information or to join the East Feliciana Cattlemen's Association, contact Donna Gentry at 318-613-9278.
Disaster Relief Information:
If you were impacted by Hurricane Ida (livestock production, hay, facilities, etc.), and in need assistance, please contact your parish emergency office at 225-683-1014 and they will contact LA Dept. of Ag and Forestry.
Disaster Preparedness for Livestock
Production & Environmental Programs:
- LSU AgCenter 2023 Grazing School (Dean Lee Research Station, Alexandria) - takes place over five sessions, providing information and hands-on experience associated with forage production for livestock operations. To pre-register by Sept. 1: www.lsuagcenter.com/grazingschool.
- Dean Lee Research Station Beef Cattle & Forage Day - September 14th at the Dean Lee Research Station in Alexandria; Registration at 2pm
- Acadiana Cattle Producers Fall Field Day - October 21st at the Iberia Research Station, Jeanerette, LA; Registration at 8am
- Beef Quality Assurance – BQA is a national program that raises consumer confidence through offering proper management techniques and a commitment to quality within every segment of the beef industry. Certification courses, advanced education modules, and herd management resources can be found here.
- Masters of Beef Advocacy – training and resources to be a strong advocate for the beef community.
- Beef. It’s What’s For Dinner. – Discover recipes, cut charts, and infographics showing the power of beef and raising cattle.
- United States Roundtable for Sustainable Beef – Learn how the U.S. beef value chain works to communicate continuous improvement in sustainability.
- Secure Beef Supply – Information on developing an enhanced biosecurity plan for foreign animal diseases for cattle operations.
- BeefResearch – Find research and information on topics including Beef Safety, Human Nutrition, Product Quality, Sustainability and Market Research.
- UCDavis - Beef Genetics and Genomics website
- Extension pages
Sheep & Goats
- American Consortium for Small Ruminant Parasite Control – provides important and current information on parasite management for small ruminants.
- Secure Sheep and Wool Supply - Information on developing an enhanced biosecurity plan for foreign animal diseases for sheep operations.
- American Sheep Industry Association (ASI) – They manage the sheep and wool quality assurance programs and many compiled producer education resources.
- American Lamb Board
- Sheep 101 - Great sheep webpage managed by Susan Schoenian, recently retired Sheep & Goat Specialist at University of Maryland Extension.
- Extension pages
- Animal Ag Alliance – Their Animal Ag Allies or College Aggies Online initiatives could be of interest to those wanting to improve their agriculture advocacy skills.
- Council for Agricultural Technology and Science – science-based information about food and agriculture compiled by industry and academic experts.