Hot summer temperatures are exactly what vinca loves. Here are some growing tips from LSU AgCenter horticulturist Allen Owings
to help you be successful with these summer favorites.
- Plant into landscape beds late April through early May at the earliest.
- Landscape bed soil pH needs to be 5.5-5.8 and well-drained.
- Plants need full sun.
- Minimize irrigation, especially overhead watering.
- Mulch with pine straw to reduce splashing of rainfall and irrigation water.
- Avoid planting in the same bed in consecutive years.
- Consider ‘Nirvana’ and ‘Cora’ cultivars if root rot has been an issue in recent years.