Baton Rouge is a green city, made possible in part by our local garden retailers, professional landscape industry, gardening enthusiasts, great homeowners, garden clubs and plant societies. The city boasts a number of plant societies for those who wish to learn more about a particular plant and meet others who share similar interests.
All societies welcome attendance. They meet at the Baton Rouge Botanic Garden Center, 7950 Independence Blvd., on a monthly basis. The Plant Society meeting schedule is:
- Hibiscus Society, 6:30 p.m., first Wednesday
- Rose Society, 7 p.m., second Wednesday
- Bromeliad Society, 7 p.m., second Thursday
- Bonsai Society, 7 p.m., third Tuesday
- Orchid Society, 7 p.m., third Wednesday
- Baton Rouge Garden Club, 9 a.m., third Friday
- Herb Society, 7 p.m., fourth Thursday
Always check your group’s schedule before attending as some groups do not meet in the summer. Call the Baton Rouge Botanic Garden Center (225-928-2270) or the EBRP Main Library (225-231-3750) for contact information for each society.