Monday, Nov. 12, 2018
Union Central Elementary School
Pre-register by Wednesday, Nov. 7, 2018
Registration: 8:45 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.
Registration will not open until 8:45 a.m. so there is no need to arrive early!
Judging and educational activities: 10:00 a.m.
Awards presentation: Noon.
- Please pre-register by contacting the 4-H office via phone at 318-649-2663 stating contestant's name, dish category, school, grade and/or Consumer Foods Judging Contest by Wednesday, Nov. 7.
- Dishes must be already prepared and ready to serve. All dishes must be chilled (cold to the touch) and transported in an insulated hard case ice chest with ice. No insulated totes or bags will be allowed. Styrofoam ice chest is allowed. No frozen water bottles are allowed. Dishes not properly chilled and in a hard case ice chest will be disqualified.
- Dish must be covered with a lid or foil in ice chest.
- Dish setup must be completed by 9:45 a.m. Judging starts at 10:00 a.m. No dishes will be entered once judging begins.
- Serving dish can be no larger than 11x16 or 12-inch round. Recipes used should not serve more than 12 servings. Please do not bring place mats, decorations that are not on the dish or extremely large platters. Space is limited.
- Alcohol is not allowed in any recipe.
- Each 4-H'er may enter one dish per category.
- Dishes that won first place in last year's contest (Nov. 2017) are not eligible for entry in this year's contest.
- Recipes should be submitted on the recipe form that is attached at the bottom of this page. Forms are also available at the 4-H office located at 106 Jackson Street in Columbia, La.
- Bring two copies of the recipe to the contest.
- Please bring at least two canned food items to be donated to a local food pantry. Donated items will be accepted at the 4-H office during pre-registration or at the contest site.
- Each participant will receive a ribbon.
- Cash awards will be given to first, second and third place winners.
- Each first place dish will compete for the Best of Show award.
- First place winners in dish categories will be eligible to compete in the Area Cookery Contest scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 27, 2018 in Rayville, La.. A maximum of two dishes per 4-H'er may be entered in the area contest.
Louisiana Commodity Dish Categories
- Rice Main Dish: Dish must contain at least one cup of uncooked rice or two cups of cooked white or brown rice. If using rice bran instead of rice, the recipe must contain at least 1/4 cup of rice bran. Wild rice may be used in addition to two cups of cooked white or brown rice. Dish must contain a plant or animal protein. (Excludes protein powder.)
- Rice Any Other: Dish must contain at least one cup of uncooked rice or 2 cups of cooked white or brown rice. If contestant is using rice bran instead of rice, the recipe must contain at least 1/4 cup of rice bran. Wild rice may be used in addition to 2 cups of cooked white or brown rice. Any type rice dish other than a main dish may be entered. Dish can be a salad, dessert or side dish.
- Pecan: Dish must contain at least one cup of pecans. Any type of pecan dish may be entered.
- Sweet Potato: Dish must contain at least one cup fresh, canned or frozen sweet potatoes. Any type of sweet potato dish may be entered.
- Egg: Dish must utilize a minimum of four eggs, This can be four whites, four yolks or four whole eggs. No raw eggs will be allowed in the final product. The recipe must make only one standard size dish. For example, a recipe that contains four eggs and makes two pies will not qualify.
- Chicken: Dish must contain a minimum of 2 pounds bone-in or one pound boneless chicken meat. Any type of chicken dish may be entered.
- Quick-N-Easy Ground Beef: Dish must contain a minimum of one pound ground beef. All beef should be cooked until gray in color, not pink and juices run clear. Any type of ground beef dish may be entered. Dish must be prepared and cooked within one hour or less. Cooking time must be included on the recipe.
- Heart Healthy Ground Beef: Dish must contain a minimum of 1 pound ground beef and contain less than 400 calories per serving and less than 600mg of sodium. All beef should be cooked until gray in color, not pink and juices run clear. Recipe must be analyzed at the following website: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp. Printed analysis must be attached to the recipe.
Consumer Foods Judging Contest
- Contestants will make food choices from restaurants, grocery stores and/or vending machines. This contest will consist of three classes of food items with four items in each class. Classes will be ranked first choice, second choice and third choice and written reasons will be given. Factors influencing these choices may include health, money, lifestyle or other requirements based on the given situation.
- Categories include grades 4-5, grades 6-8 and grades 9-12.
For more information, contact our office at 318-649-2663.
Should you need an ADA accommodation for this event, please contact 4-H agent Jana Bennett at 318-649-2663.