The 2023 Caldwell 4-H Fall Foods Festival will be held on Monday, November 13 at Union Central Elementary School. The Fall Foods Festival allows members to demonstrate their creativity, knowledge of Louisiana commodities, and decision making skills. Members not interested in entering a dish can still participate in this event by entering the Consumer Foods Judging Contest.
- Registration and Dish setup are 8:45 - 9:45 a.m.
- Judging and Educational Activities begin at 10:00 a.m.
- Awards Presentation is scheduled for noon.
- You must preregister for both contests by contacting the 4-H office via phone at 318-649-2663 stating contestant's name, school, grade, dish category, and if participating in the Consumer Foods Judging Contest by 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 8.
- Each 4-H'er may enter one dish per category. Only one contest credit for Dish is allowed for the 4 Star Contest.
- Recipes should be submitted on the recipe form available at the 4-H office.
- Dishes that won first place in last year's contest cannot be entered this year.
- Alcohol is not allowed in any recipe.
- Dishes must be already prepared and ready to serve. All dishes must be chilled (cold to the touch) and transported in an insulated, hard case ice chest with ice. No insulated totes or bags will be allowed. Styrofoam ice chest is allowed. No frozen water bottles are allowed.
- Dishes not properly chilled, not properly covered and not in a hard case ice chest will be disqualified.
- Dish must be covered with a lid or foil in ice chest.
- Recipes used should not serve more than 12 servings.
- Dish setup must be completed by 9:45 a.m. Judging starts at 10:00 a.m. No dishes will be entered once judging begins.
- Serving dish can be no larger than 11 by 16, or 12 inch round. Please do not bring placemats or decorations that are not on the dish, or extremely large platters. Space is limited.
- Bring two copies of the recipe to the contest.
- Each participant will receive a ribbon.
- Cash awards will be given to first, second and third place winners
- First place winners in commodity categories will be eligible to compete in the Area Cookery Contest scheduled for February 2024 at the River of Life Church in Winnsboro. A maximum of two dishes per 4-H'er may be entered in the area contest.
Louisiana Commodity Dish Categories
- Rice Main Dish: Dish must contain at least one cup of uncooked rice or two cups of cooked white or brown rice. If using rice bran instead of rice, the recipe must contain at least 1/4 cup of rice bran. Wild rice may be used in addition to two cups of cooked white or brown rice. Dish should contain a plant or animal protein. (Excludes protein powder.)
- Rice Any Other: Dish must contain at least one cup of uncooked rice or 2 cups of cooked white or brown rice. If contestant is using rice bran instead of rice, the recipe must contain at least 1/4 cup of rice bran. Wild rice may be used in addition to 2 cups of cooked white or brown rice. Any type rice dish other than a main dish may be entered. Dish can be a salad, dessert or side dish.
- Pecan: Dish must contain at least one cup of pecans. Any type of pecan dish may be entered.
- Sweet Potato: Dish must contain at least one cup fresh, canned or frozen sweet potatoes. Any type of sweet potato dish may be entered.
- Corn: Dish must contain at least 1 cup of corn product such as corn meal, grits, hominy corn, fresh, frozen, or canned corn. Any type of corn dish may be entered.
- Egg: Dish must utilize a minimum of four eggs, This can be four whites, four yolks or four whole eggs. No raw eggs will be allowed in the final product. The recipe must make only one standard size dish. For example, a recipe that contains four eggs and makes two pies will not qualify.
- Chicken: Dish must contain a minimum of 2 pounds bone-in or one pound boneless chicken meat. Any type of chicken dish may be entered.
- Quick-N-Easy Ground Beef: Dish must contain a minimum of one pound ground beef. All beef should be cooked until gray in color, not pink and juices run clear. Any type of ground beef dish may be entered. Dish must be prepared and cooked within 30 minutes or less. Cooking time must be included on the recipe.
- Main Dish Beef: Dish must contain a minimum of 1 pound of beef. All beef should be cooked until gray in color, not pink, and juices run clear. Any type beef dish may be entered.
Consumer Foods Judging Contest
To participate in the Consumer Foods Judging Contest, 4-H members must preregister by 4:00 p.m., Wednesday, November 8. Participants will rank classes of food items from restaurants, grocery stores or vending machines based on factors such as health, cost, lifestyle, or other requirements in a given situation and give written reasons for rankings. Category divisions are Grades 4 and 5, Grades 6 to 8, and Grades 9 to 12. To preregister for this contest, call the 4-H office at 318-649-2663.
Should you need an ADA accommodation to participate in Caldwell 4-H, please contact 4-H agent Jana Bennett at 318-649-2663.
Membership and participation in activities and events are open to all citizens without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, veteran status, or disability. The LSU AgCenter and LSU provide equal opportunities in programs and employment.