Mary Crnkovic | 8/31/2010 1:30:45 AM
Saturday, December 12, 2015
Registration: 9:30 a.m.
Judging Begins: 10:00 a.m.
Kingston Elementary School
601 Kingston Road
Benton, LA 71006
This contest teaches life skills to 4-H'ers participating in the Bossier Parish 4-H Beef, Egg and Seafood Cookery Contest. They learn the art of cooking as well as knowing their way around the kitchen. It provides them with the ability to research various types of recipes and learn how to follow a recipe, acquire knowledge and skill in measuring ingredients and using cooking principles, learn nutritional value of foods and using creative ways to display their finished product. Responsibility plays a big role in the contest as the 4-H'ers learn how to prepare their foods safely in the kitchen, know the rules of the contest and transport the finished product safely to the contest area.
Dishes are scored on appearance, taste and recipe. Each first place dish will compete at the Area Cookery Contest to be held on April 12, 2016.
Directions for the recipe format are indicated below and a sample recipe will be used as a guideline in the Bossier Parish Cookery Contest.
Recipe Format for Bossier Parish Cookery Contest
The recipe should include the following parts:
A. Name of Recipe
B. List of ingredients in order used in instructions:
1. Measurements given in common fractions.
2. No abbreviations used.
3. No brand names used.
4. Include the size and weight of cans, packages, etc.
C. Instructions for combining ingredients:
1. Clear instructions for every step of combining and cooking the ingredients.
2. Short, clear, concise sentences.
3. Correct food preparation terms to describe combining and cooking process.
4. Size of pan stated.
5. Temperature and cooking time stated.
6. Number of servings and calories per serving given. (Area Contest)
D. Dish meets contest and division requirements.