Margo Castro | 2/1/2011 11:07:09 PM
In this article:
|Demonstration Days Feb. 21, 24, and 25, 2011|
|Sew With Cotton Contest|
|Co-op Leadership Conference|
|4-H Day Diamonds and Clovers|
|4-H Day at the Capitol|
Demonstration events will include competition in the following:
- Individual and/or team (4th-12th grade)
- Agriculture (Horticulture)
- Home Economics
1. Any 4-H’ers regardless of the project enrolled in.
2. A team -- a 4-H member must join with another 4-H’er to form a team of two.
3. All demonstrations must be at least two minutes and not to exceed four minutes for 4th - 6th graders. All
7th -12th demonstrations must be four minutes and not to exceed six minutes.
4. Demonstrations should include:
- 4th-6th graders: one to two posters.
- 7th-12th graders: two to four posters.
Schedule for Demonstration Days is as follows:
Monday, Feb. 21 -- Labadieville Middle, Bayou L’Ourse Primary, Napoleonville Primary and Belle Rose
Thursday, Feb. 24 -- Pierre Part Middle, Pierre Part Primary and Belle Rose Primary.
Friday, Feb. 25 -- St. Elizabeth, Labadieville Primary and Napoleonville Middle.
Sew with Cotton garments are due to the 4-H Office March 10, 2011.
1. The Contest is open to all 4-H members (girls and boys) regardless of the projects enrolled in. There will be four divisions:
Division I -- 4th grade
Division II -- 5th and 6th grade
Division III -- 7th and 8th grade
Division IV -- High School
2. The Categories are:
Girls: Division IV -- sportswear (complete outfit), school dress (or skirt and blouse), best dress.
Boys: Division IV -- sportswear (complete outfit), pants or shorts with shirt.
Girls: Division III -- sportswear (complete outfit), school dress (or skirt and blouse).
Boys: Division III -- sportswear (complete outfit), pants or shorts with shirt.
Girls and Boys: Division II -- chef’s apron with pockets; boxer shorts or pajama pants (pajama pants have elastic waistband with optional side seam pockets). No set pattern for boxer shorts.
Girls or Boys: Division I -Tote bag. No set pattern.
3. Garment must be cotton, including interfacing, underlining, lining, tape, trimming, etc. -- Everything except: thread may be dual duty polyester. Buttons may be of any suitable type. Ready-made belts (chain, leather, etc.) are acceptable.
4. Contestants will be judged on the construction of the garment.
5. The following placing will be given: a blue, a red and a white ribbon will be given in all divisions. All other garments will be placed in the Blue Ribbon Honorable Mention group.
6. IMPORTANT!!! Items should be tagged with your name, grade, school, and division when they are turned in.
If you have any questions or need more information ask your club leader or call the 4-H Office at 985-369-6386.
Co-op Leadership Conference will be held March 25-27, 2011, at Grant Walker 4-H Educational Center. Youth in the 9th -12th grade are eligible to attend. This combined efforts of the LSU AgCenter and the Louisiana Council of Farmer Cooperative provides a hands-on opportunity for youth to learn about the cooperative process of business by creating and managing their own co-op while having a great time at camp.
The conference will be open to 120 participants and places will be filled on a first come, first served basis. If you are interested in attending, call the 4-H Office 985-369-6386 because you will need to fill out an application and pay the $30 fee.
Friday, May 13, 2011
7 p.m. Zephyr Field, New Orleans, La.
Don’t miss Boudreaux and the Zephyrs as they take on the Salt Lake Bees for a full night of excitement and entertainment! Fireworks after the game!!! Lower Bowl Seating available for $12.
The deadline to order is May 5, 2011. Tickets are based on availability. To purchase tickets return the order form found in the attached newsletter with payment to:
New Orleans Zephyrs, Attn: Brandon Puls 6000 Airline Dr. Metairie, LA 70003 or fax to 504-734-5118.
Questions? Call 504-734-5155 or email email@example.com
The following are opportunities for 4-H Members to participate in on field programs and activities at the 4-H Day Diamonds and Clovers:
Pre-game presentation, National Anthem, Invocation, Baseball buddies, First Pitch, Boudreaux and Clotile picture, Player photo and Autograph Session. Each activity has an entry deadline of April 21, 2011. In order to be considered, please submit your names on time to the 4-H office 985-369-6386. Winners will be notified.
The 10th Annual 4-H Day at the Capitol is June 1, 2011. 4-H Day at the Capitol provides an opportunity for 4-H members to learn about the legislative process and begins with an assembly at 10 a.m. 4-H exhibits and displays are setup in the rotunda adding to 4-H Day at the Capitol program.
More information will be in the April 2011 Clover Chatter.
4-H Camp is open to all 4-H’ers that are in 4th-6th grade (9-12 years old).
How to apply:
The cost of camp:
Applications will be given out at February 2011 club meetings and/or available from your 4-H leader or the 4-H office. Once all applications are received and reviewed, you will receive a letter letting you know if you have been accepted.