LSU AgCenter Dairy Store



Our Mission

The primary mission of the Dairy Store is to provide teaching and training to students. The Dairy Store is used as a training tool to simulate the work of a full-scale commercial dairy processing plant in which our students will one day be involved. The Dairy Store is also used as a tool in accomplishing LSU AgCenter research projects involving various dairy and food product applications.


Hours

Monday - Friday 9:00AM - 5:00PM
Saturday - Sunday Closed

Location

40 S Stadium Drive, Baton Rouge, LA 70808

Contact Info

Phone: (225) 578-4392




Products

The LSU AgCenter Dairy Store offers a selection of ice cream, meats (beef, pork, lamb and goat), and cheese (call for availability).

The Dairy Store also sells coffee, espresso, smoothies, chips, soft drinks, cookies and candy.

Current Ice cream flavors include:

medium_TigerBite20ice20cream1jpg

  • Vanilla
  • Cookies & Cream
  • Chocolate Chip
  • Tiger Bite
  • Butter Pecan
  • Mint Chip
  • English Toffee
  • Chocolate
  • 2 x Chocolate Chip
  • Strawberry
  • Strawberry Cheesecake
  • Rum Raisin
  • Chocolate Cookies & Cream
  • Coffee Toffee

History of the LSU Creamery

In 1904, the Louisiana legislature appointed $5,000 for a dairy heard and creamery. In 1905, the first LSU Creamery was established on the site where the current state capitol building is now located. In 1925, the LSU Creamery was moved to the then new LSU Campus. The creamery was established in what is now the basement of Coates Hall. In 1929, the creamery was moved into a building intended for laundry use but was never used for that purpose. The building was remodeled to be used as a creamery. A sales room was opened in the building and became a tremendous success.

Soon after the outbreak of WWII, enrollment declined rapidly and the creamery was faced with a serious labor shortage. When certain food products became rationed, a flood of Baton Rouge citizens came to the LSU Creamery sales room to purchase dairy products. As a result of increased demand and decreased labor, the sales room was forced to close.

In 1956, the LSU Creamery was moved to its current location at the corner of South Stadium and Tower Drive. In March of 1972, the salesroom was reopened as the LSU Dairy Store. Products such as ice cream, milk, cottage and cheddar cheeses were sold. In 1982, the Dairy Store entered into a joint project with the LSU Student Government Association and became known as the Market Place. Sandwiches, dipped ice cream, malts and shakes were added for sale.

In 1984, the joint project with SGA was discontinued and the Dairy Store was re-established. In the spring of 1990, students in the department of Dairy Science remodeled the store to provide a pleasant sit-down environment for customers.

Today, the Dairy Store serves the university community with 16 different flavors of ice cream, cheese, sundaes, shakes, malts, espresso, cappuccino and ice cream, pre-packed in half gallon and 3-gallon containers. The Dairy Store has a rapidly expanding mail order cheese sale in which hundreds of boxes of premium LSU Cheddar and Jalapeno Cajun Spice cheeses are sold every year.

The Dairy Store has been in continuous operation since 1972.

Innovate . Educate . Improve Lives

The LSU AgCenter and the LSU College of Agriculture

Top