Information for Transfer Students

Thank you for considering the LSU College of Agriculture to continue your education. We want to work with you to make your transfer into one of our majors as easy as possible.

Please review the transfer admission requirements and the application process established by the LSU Office of Undergraduate Admissions and Student Aid. 

Once you are admitted to a program in the College of Agriculture, there are several steps you will take before starting classes.

  • Send all transcripts to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and Student Aid. They will evaluate all of your courses and post your credit. The College of Agriculture does not review transcripts! If you are planning to transfer from a Louisiana school, you may review the Louisiana Board of Regents Master Course Articulation Matrix to determine if and how your courses will transfer.
  • Sign up for transfer orientation. At orientation, you will meet with an advisor in your major who will look at the coursework you have completed and determine what you still need to finish your degree. 
    • if you are coming from an out of state school, you may have courses that need to be evaluated. If the LSU Office of Undergraduate Admissions and Student Aid cannot determine if one or more of your courses has an LSU equivalent, you will be given the opportunity at orientation to have the course evaluated by the department (ie, if it is a biology course, it will be reviewed by the biology department). 
    • When you come to orientation, you should bring your current institution's catalog, as well as any other information from the course that you have (syllabus, course notes, etc). 
    • You will be provided with a form that the departments will sign, indicating what LSU course your credit should count as. Once you have had all necessary courses evaluated, you will return the form to the College of Agriculture and we will forward it to Admissions, who will then change your course numbers to reflect what the department has indicated the course should be.
    • It is important to note that you do not necessarily need to have all courses evaluated. You should only get evaluated those courses that are needed for your degree. For example, if you want to major in Nutritional Sciences, and have several music classes, it is not necessary to get those classes evaluated because they are not needed for a degree in Nutritional Sciences.
  • Review the LSU General Catalog. The College of Agriculture section of the catalog outlines the degree requirements for all majors. Use this tool to get a better sense of your progress towards your intended major. The College cannot tell you how many hours you have left in your degree until you attend orientation, meet with an advisor, and have all courses evaluated. 
  • Familiarize yourself with CATS. 
    • The Comprehensive Academic Tracking System (CATS) is designed to help you reach academic success at LSU and make sure that you are progressing toward graduation each semester. Each major has a RECOMMENDED PATH that is the optimal path for graduation in four years. CATS checks your progress each semester by tracking you on the CRITICAL REQUIREMENTS needed and gives you feedback when you are not meeting those requirements. First time freshmen will be tracked, beginning their first semester of enrollment at LSU, transfer students will be tracked beginning their second semester of full time enrollment at LSU.
4/22/2015 3:14:32 PM
Rate This Article:

Have a question or comment about the information on this page?

Innovate . Educate . Improve Lives

The LSU AgCenter and the LSU College of Agriculture