News Release Distributed 06/22/04
Twenty-eight Louisiana 4-H’ers who excelled in project work and recordkeeping, served as club officers or otherwise distinguished themselves during their years in 4-H were announced as scholarship winners Tuesday (June 22) during 4-H University in Baton Rouge.
The scholarships were presented to 4-H’ers from across the state during a banquet that honored them and other award winners Tuesday evening. The presentations were just one of the events – which included contests, educational sessions, community service projects and other activities – as part of the June 22-25 4-H University gathering for thousands of young people on the LSU campus in Baton Rouge.
"We are proud to honor these hard-working young people," said Joan McCrory, an LSU AgCenter 4-H faculty member who works with the scholarship program. "Many more 4-H’ers than these have extraordinary skills and talents – but we are happy to have the opportunity to recognize the successful efforts of this group and to encourage them to continue their education."
As part of the awards, 20 4-H Club members received scholarships ranging from $200 to $1,200 through the Louisiana 4-H Foundation. Another seven $300 scholarships to study on the LSU campus in Baton Rouge also were presented, and one member received an American Legion Scholarship of $400.
Winners, their hometowns and the scholarships they received were:
- Derrick Goebel of Elton received the Bruce Flint Scholarship of $1,200.
- Kirk Anthony Romero, Kaplan, Gloria Perkins Scholarship, $1,100.
- Melinda Lynn Remy, Farmerville, C.J. Naquin Scholarship, $1,000.
- Stephen Casey Gerald, Franklinton, Carl and Beaulah Baldridge Scholarship, $1,000.
- Pamela Nicole Collins, Morganza, Cliff Williams Scholarship, $800.
- Jena Ashley Purpera, Erwinville, Gerry Lane Enterprises Scholarship, $600.
- Clifford J. LeJeune, Iota, Lod Cook Scholarship, $700.
- Madalyn Thibodeaux, Parks, Ruth Johnson Scholarship, $700.
- Kathleen Bridges, Haynesville, Jason McClaran Scholarship, $500.
- Haylee Brooks, Mt. Hermon, Louisiana Milk Producers Scholarship, $500.
- Jacob Magee, Port Allen, American Legion Scholarship, $400.
- Ashlie Smith, Coushatta, Mark Bonner Scholarship, $400.
- Camille Talbot, Plattenville, A.P. and Beryl Parham Scholarship, $375.
- Mandie Reyne Bourque, Welsh, Lee Berwick Scholarship, $375.
- Kalem Chance Dartez, DeRidder, Dr. and Mrs. Edward W. Gassie Scholarship, $375.
- Christopher Matthew Welch, Hackberry, Joseph and Malvina Lamendola Scholarship, $325.
- Jerry Paul Miller, Franklinton, H.C. Sanders Scholarship, $325.
- Henry Shuler, Winnfield, Daniel Fontenot Jr. Scholarship, $200.
- Elisabeth Scioneaux, Vacherie, Sidney F. Wood Scholarship, $300.
- Lindsey Bickham, Franklinton, Holbern "Bot" Burch Scholarship, $250.
- Christopher Kerbow, Mt. Hermon, Holbern "Bot" Burch Scholarship, $250.
- Lacey Rochelle Deshotel, Oberlin, LSU Scholarship, $300.
- Robert Kyle Alagood, Jonesville, LSU Scholarship, $300.
- Chad Edward Turner, Lafayette, LSU Scholarship, $300.
- Mark Gerard Carriere, Thibodaux, LSU Scholarship, $300.
- Jessa Marie Mayard, Abbeville, LSU Scholarship, $300.
- Sarah Elizabeth Smith, Leesville, LSU Scholarship, $300.
- Jessie Marie Hoover, Tickfaw, LSU Scholarship, $300.
Contact: Joan McCrory at (225) 296-5251 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Writers: Kara Lafleur or Tom Merrill at (225) 578-2263 or email@example.com