Should you need an ADA accommodation to participate in Caldwell 4-H, please contact 4-H agent Jana Bennett at 318-649-2663.
I pledge my Head to clearer thinking, my Heart to greater loyalty, my Hands to larger service, my Health to better living, for my club, my community, my country, and my world.
Clubs of the Month
- 1st place Old Bethel Christian Academy 7-12 grade
- 2nd place Caldwell Parish Junior High School 7-8 grade
- 3rd place Caldwell Parish High School
- 4th place Columbia Elementary School 4th grade
- 5th place Grayson Elementary School 5th grade
- 1st place Old Bethel Christian Academy 7-12 grade
- 2nd place Caldwell Parish High School
- 3rd place Columbia Elementary 4th grade
- 4th place Grayson Elementary 5th grade
- 5th place Grayson Elementary 4th grade
Communication and Career Day
The 2023 4-H Communication and Career Day will be held at Union Central Elementary on Monday, January 23. Communication and Career Day consists of Demonstrations and Career Preparation Interview. Demonstrations will have a time limit of 5 to 7 minutes and can be individual or a team of 2. Interview divisions are Grades 4 and 5, Grades 6 through 8, and Grades 9 through 12.Please preregister for Communication and Career Day by calling the 4-H office at (318) 649-2663 by 4:00 p.m., January 18.
Beef Poster Contest
- 2023 Beef Poster Contest entries are due 4:00 p.m., Friday, January 27.
- This year's contest theme is Beef: A Sustainable Choice.
- This poster contest is about marketing and communicating the all-around environmental, health, nutrition, economic, etc., benefits of beef.
- Poster must be on poster board that is 22 inches by 28 inches and must include the participant's name, address, grade and parish on the back upper right corner of the poster.
- Poster should generate positive images and promotion of beef, not live cattle production, using the indicated theme and should promote beef without projecting any negative messages towards other agricultural commodities, for example, chicken, pork.
- The finished poster should be appropriate for use on an outdoor billboard.
- Do not use copyrighted pictures, clip art, logos, cartoon characters, advertisements, or other materials. You can pull ideas from magazines, parents, friends, nutrition bulletins, Beef Ambassador Fact Sheets, and meat publications as well as the American Meat Institute and National Livestock and Meat Board but the end concept should be original and not copied material.
- Entries submitted after January 27 will not be eligible to place first, second, or third, or win prizes. First place posters will be sent to Baton Rouge to compete in the State Beef Poster Contest.
Lego Building Competition - new contest
- Photo entries for the 2023 Lego Building Contest are due by 4:00 p.m., Friday, February 10.
- This contest is open to all Caldwell 4-H members in grades 4-12.
- You may create your own design or build a themed set.
- A contest label with your Name, Grade, School, and a Description of Design along with a 4-inch by 6-inch photograph of your creation will be submitted on February 10.
- You will describe what you have built on the label that will be submitted with your photograph.
- Members placing first, second, third, and fourth will exhibit their design projects at the Caldwell Parish Library.
- You must be able to carry the design yourself and it must fit on a desktop.
Public Speaking and Demonstrations
Not a fan of public speaking, no matter the audience? Chances are you have already faced a public speaking situation - a speech at school, a 4-H club demonstration, a job or project interview, or even just sharing your opinion in front of a group of your friends. Did the experience send you running scared, or did you face the experience head-on? The truth is you WILL continue experiencing public speaking situations throughout your life. Therefore, it is important to remember these things:
- Communication is an essential skill for success in any field.
- Communication includes speaking and listening.
- Practice makes perfect!
Members will get a "toolbox list" at club meetings that will help them become more comfortable when speaking in a group. They will also get to practice their speaking skills in small groups.
Healthy Living Mental Health
Connect with others. Friends, family, pets, even a casual friendly hello to a stranger can boost positive feelings, help ward off depression and anxiety, and make you feel that you are connected to others. Focus on the quality of your friendships and relationships, not the quantity.
- January 18 Communication and Career preregistration deadline
- January 23 Communication and Career Contest
- January 27 Beef Poster Contest
- February 2-4 Northeast District Livestock Show in Delhi
- February 7 Area Commodity Cookery Contest in Winnsboro
- February 10 Lego Building Contest
- February 24 Dairy Billboard Contest
Club Meeting Schedule
- February 1 Caldwell Parish High School
- February 3 Caldwell Parish Junior High School
- February 8 Columbia Elementary School
- February 9 Grayson Elementary School
- February 9 Homeschool Club
- February 13 Old Bethel Christian Academy
- February 24 Union Central Elementary School
Membership and participation in activities and events are open to all citizens without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, veteran status or disability. If you have a disability that requires special accommodation for your participation, please contact us at 318-649-2663. Should you need an ADA accommodation to participate in Caldwell 4-H, please contact 4-H agent Jana Bennett at 318-649-2663. Louisiana 4-H is an educational program of the LSU AgCenter. The LSU AgCenter and LSU provide equal opportunities in programs and employment.