- Recommended Use: Warm-season bedding plant, container, cut flowers, mass planting
- Exposure: Full sun
- Size: Height: 24 to 48 inches tall, 20 to 32 inches wide
- Habit: Upright, well-branched, bushlike
- Bloom Time: Planting to hard frost
- Maintenance Category: Easy
- Water Use: Average to low
- Highlights: Continuous blooming (re-bloomer), disease resistant, fall interest, heat tolerant, deadheading not necessary, drought tolerant, excellent for pollinators.
Close-up of a Suncredible yellow sunflower.
The Suncredible Yellow sunflower is a disease-resistant, continuous bloomer that provides nonstop flower power throughout the entire growing season. These sunflowers thrive when planted in full sun and are both heat and drought tolerant once established. These dense bloomers attract a multitude of butterflies and bees to the garden. However, pollinators are not the only ones buzzing over these mounding, bushlike sunflowers, as they make quite a statement when planted as a group in the landscape or when grown in a container with their bright, vivid color. Suncredible Yellow sunflowers have amazed viewers in the LSU AgCenter Hammond Plant Trials, winning the blue ribbon in 2019 as the top warm-season bedding plant in the trials and receiving a perfect 5 overall rating in the landscape and containers each and every year they have been included in the trials.
Row of Suncredible yellow sunflowers planted in containers.
- Grows well in average and rich soils but capable of growing in poorer soils.
- Average water required; however, tolerant of dry conditions once established.
- Plant in full sun.
- Suncredible yellow sunflowers have an upright, bushlike habit.
- Blooms are about 4 inches across.
- Deadheading not necessary to continue blooming.
- Hardy in zones 9a to 11b.
Care and Maintenance
- Fertilize with a controlled-release fertilizer at time of planting. A second application of fertilizer midsummer is not required but should increase the number of blooms and keep the plant blooming longer.
- Plant 18 to 24 inches apart.
- Keep plants adequately watered throughout the summer until established.
- Can be groomed for tidiness, but deadheading is not necessary to continue blooming.
- Apply a minimum of 1 inch of mulch around the base of the plants to prevent the soil from drying out and to ensure proper root health.
- These plants are not deer resistant and make an excellent snack for these animals. Be sure to plant in areas away from deer pressure.
Suncredible yellow sunflowers growing in the landscape.