Many of us are looking for ways to live healthier this “NEW YEAR.” We are looking to lose a few pounds, lower our blood pressure, lower our cholesterol, or raise our energy level. Well, I have a “RESOLUTION” for you. Start by consuming more fruits.
Fruits are low in calories, high in fiber, and rich in vitamins and minerals.
Try these easy tips:
- Keep a bowl of fresh fruits on the table, counter, or in the refrigerator.
- Refrigerate cut-up fruit for later consumption.
- Buy fresh fruits when they are in season. They are generally less expensive and at their peak in flavor.
- Buy fruits that are dried, frozen, or canned (in 100% juice) as well as fresh, so that you always have some available.
- Try pre-cut packages of fruit (such as melon or pineapple chunks) for a healthy ready to eat snack. Choose packaged fruits without the added sugars.
Many of us do not get our daily-recommended amount of fruits. This can be as simple as 1, 2 and 3.
- Adding bananas to cereal
- Add fresh fruits to yogurt, cottage cheese, low-fat ice cream, etc.
- Add fresh berries to pancakes or waffles
- Make a delicious colorful salad by adding fresh fruits
- Add fruits to a grilled chicken pizza
- Include fruits when preparing tuna salad or chicken salad
- Add fruits to a shrimp kabob
- Add fruit salsa to steak
- Add fruit to casserole