6/9/2009 2:32:23 AM
Charles Lesley "C.L." Flowers
East Baton Rouge Parish
Year Inducted: 2009
Charles Lesley “C. L.” Flowers of East Baton Rouge Parish served as an extension agent, advocate, volunteer, benefactor, and advisor to the 4-H program for 62 years from 1937-1999. He began working with 4-H'ers in DeSoto Parish in 1937, specializing in the livestock project and bringing that parish's first entries to the LSU State Livestock Show. During the next 12 years, he worked in Claiborne Parish and West Feliciana Parish as county agent. He transferred to East Baton Rouge Parish in 1952 where he served both youth and adults as county agent and parish chair until his retirement in 1972. Tirelessly, he gave time and energy, both personal and professional, to touch the lives of as many children as he could. Mr. Flowers was especially dedicated to the livestock project and traveled by train all over the country with 4-H youth and their families for them to participate in livestock shows. He would sometimes ride in the rail cars with the animals to make sure they had proper care. Inner city children learned about livestock from Mr. Flowers, who donated animals to them for showing at parish, district and state shows. After retiring, Mr. Flowers continued to be involved with the 4-H program, volunteering to help at livestock shows, state contests and parish achievement days. In 1984, Mr. Flowers and his wife donated $10,000 to the Louisiana 4-H Foundation. He remained supportive of the 4-H program until he passed away in 1999.
The LSU AgCenter and the LSU College of Agriculture