Healthy Communities is building a healthier Louisiana, one partner at a time. Here’s why your support matters:
- Over 2/3 of American adults and almost 1/3 of American children and youths are overweight or obese. As a state with the 4th highest obesity rate of 34.9%, Louisiana residents suffer disproportionately from preventable chronic diseases such as diabetes and heart disease. Heart disease is the leading cause of death in Louisiana.
- Obesity is costly, and direct and indirect costs of it are hurting the local economy. The estimated yearly health care costs of obesity-related illnesses make up 20% of annual medical spending in the US, equal to $190.2 billion. Overweight or obese employees’ average medical costs are more than 50% higher than other employees, and are 75% more likely to miss more work.
- We are finding solutions that work, but we need you. Reversing and preventing the obesity epidemic requires us to work together to collectively impact the policies, systems, and environment that effects our health. Healthy Communities is partnering with local governments, businesses, schools, individuals, families, and organizations that want to see change in their communities. We need you at the table!
How can I Help?
There are many ways in which you or your business can partner with Healthy Communities to make lasting change in Louisiana. Here are just a few ways:
- Join your local Healthy Communities Coalition or appoint a liaison to help make decisions about programming and projects in your community
- Provide speaking opportunities, or put us on the agenda at your board/community meetings
- Sponsor or host community events that promote health
- Display or distribute promotional materials
- Volunteer at community events hosted by Healthy Communities such as health fairs, cooking camps, beautification projects, and gardening
- Become a Well-Spot
- Issue a public endorsement for Healthy Communities
To join the partnership or to find out how you can get involved, please contact Jamila Freightman at firstname.lastname@example.org, or at (225) 578-8782.