Crystal Bowie | 1/10/2017 8:33:35 PM
Have you ever dreamed of being King or queen for a day? Well 4-H can make it happen. Make plans to take part in the Annual 4-H Penny King and Queen Contest. The rules are simple and the rewards are great! This is one of the annual fund-raisers sponsored by Rapides 4-H. The money is used to provide awards for many of our parish contests such as Super Saturday, scholarships, volunteer recognition awards and recognition of outstanding 4-H club members.
Who is eligible?
4-H member in grades 4th-6th
When does it take place?
The contest begins the day of your January 4-H club meeting and ends the of your March 4-H club meeting.
How does the contest work?
1. 4-H’ers prepare an unbreakable jar or container. Be sure to use on with a lid. You can decorated it with the 4-H colors (include your full name, 4-H club (school name, and the contest name). Cut a slot in the lid for people to put in money. There is no limit to the number of containers you can use. Ask people to “vote” for you for Queen or King of your 4-H club. They do this by placing money in your jar. They can give any amount and can vote as many times as they want to vote for you. The more money you collect the better your chance of being crowned King or Queen.
2. The contest is conducted throughout Rapides Parish. Contact neighborhood businesses for permission to place containers in their store. (Collecting door-to-door is strictly prohibited)
3. There is no limit to the number of 4-H members from a club that can take part.
4. All money must be counted and all money converted to bills, check, or money order.
5. All money is due at your March club meeting or by 4:30pm of the deadline date.
6. If any money is turned in after the deadline in the amount of $25 or more, you will receive a tee shirt only and you will not be eligible to be awarded club king or queen.
To learn more about this contest contact Crystal Bowie, 4-H agent or call the 4-H Office at (318) 767-3968.
The LSU AgCenter and the LSU College of Agriculture