More than 6 million young people across the country today will be celebrating National 4-H Week, which takes place annually during the first full week of October. Lincoln Parish 4-H leverages National 4-H Week to celebrate the great things that the 4-H youth development program offers young people and highlights the incredible 4-H young people who each day work to a make a positive impact on their community.
4-H is a community of six million young people across America learning leadership, citizenship, and life skills. Some of the life skills learned through 4-H are decision making, problem solving, goal setting, social skills, accepting differences, self-esteem, character, personal safety, and many many more. October 1st - 7th is National 4-H Week. Each year, during National 4-H Week, local and parish 4-H clubs have the opportunity to showcase what they have gained from their 4-H membership through activities and events at the local and parish level. We encourage our 4-H members and volunteers to recognize National 4-H Week at their schools and in their communities.
Lincoln Parish 4-H is celebrating National 4-H Week by offering many opportunities that youth, as well as the community, can be involved in throughout the weeks of October 1st – 14th.
- One of our most popular events, the Annual Lincoln Parish 4-H Pet Show will take place on October 5th at Railroad Park in Ruston beginning at 5:30 p.m.
- Lincoln Parish 4-H Jr. Leaders will be selling 4-H paper clovers to raise money for 4-H at Tractor Supply of Ruston on October 7th.
- Lincoln Parish 4-H Clubs will be kicking off their “Can Tabs for Cancer” drive for The Ronald McDonald House. They will be collecting aluminum can tabs throughout the year. These can tabs will be weighed and packaged to send to The Ronald McDonald House in Monroe, Louisiana to help with paying for cancer patient treatments and a place for the families to stay while their family member is hospitalized for treatment, etc.
- The Lincoln Parish 4-H Talent Contest will be held October 12th at Ruston High School Auditorium beginning at 5:30 p.m. Registration deadline is September 30th.
- You can help the Lincoln Parish 4-H Program by participating in a fundraiser. Just go eat at Log Cabin Grill & Market, Cheeburger Cheeburger, and/or Ponchatoulas on October 11, 2017 and give them the Fund Raiser flyer. These restaurants will donate 15% of all sales that day that are made using the Fund Raiser flyer to the Lincoln Parish 4-H Program. You must have a printed flyer with you for it to count. It can be used at any meal during that day and for dine in or carry out. You can find the flyer on our Facebook page or call the 4-H Office at 318-251-5134 to find out how to get one.
Please visit and join the Lincoln Parish 4-H Facebook page at www.facebook.com/LincolnParish4H/
to see information about all of these 4-H opportunities for youth as well as the many other upcoming opportunities that 4-H has to offer.
Last year, in Lincoln Parish, more than 700 4-H members and volunteers were involved in 4‑H. During the month of September, Lincoln Parish 4-H agents held enrollment meetings at each school throughout the parish and are excited about the number of youth and volunteers who are expected to be involved in 4-H this year.
The fundamental 4-H ideal of practical, “learn by doing” experiences encourage youth to experiment, innovate and think independently. 4-H programs are offered through school-based clubs, project clubs and camp settings.
You can join the 4-H community today. To learn how to become a 4-H member or volunteer leader in Lincoln Parish, contact Amanda Simmons, Extension Agent/4-H Youth Development, at LSU AgCenter, Lincoln Parish by calling 318-251-5134 or by e-mail to email@example.com.