|School of Animal Sciences|
|116-C J. B. Francioni
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
· McMillin, K.W. 2010. Meat Production and Quality. Chap. 13 in Goat Science and Production, S. Solaiman (Ed.), Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, pp. 255-273.
· Pinkerton, F. 2010. A Compilation of the Wit and Wisdom of ‘The Goat Man.’ Hankins Enterprises Inc., Sarah, Mississippi, 351 pp.
Pinkerton, F. and K. McMillin. Chapter 1-7. Goat Meat Cookery, pp. 43-48.
Pinkerton, F., K. McMillin, B. Herr, and T. Stanton. Chapter 2-4. Target Marketing of Slaughter Goats, pp. 74-80.
Pinkerton, F., K. McMillin, and A. Peischel. Chapter 5-6. Feedlots for Meat Goats: Opportunities, Constraints, and Economics, pp. 249-256.
McMillin, K.W. Chapter 6-4. Factors Affecting Carcass Grade and Meat Yield, pp. 293-298.
McMillin, K.W. Chapter 6-5. Value-Added Goat Meat Products, pp. 299-304
McMillin, K.W. Chapter 6-6 Principles of Kid Growth and Development, pp. 305-311.
Pinkerton, F., K.W. McMillin, and L. Nuti. Chapter 6-7. Imported Goat Meat: Consumption, Channels, Characteristics and Acceptance, pp. 312-317.
· Hoffman, L.C. and K.W. McMillin. 2009. Improving the meat quality of venison and other exotic meat. Chapter 19 in Improving the Sensory and Nutritional Quality of Fresh Meat: New Technologies, J.P. Kerry and D.A. Ledward (Ed.), Woodhead Publishing Limited, Cambridge, UK.
· McMillin, K.W. 2009. Advances in modified atmosphere packaging (MAP) for meat and poultry. Food Engineering & Ingredients 34(4):31-33.
· McMillin, K. and L. Hoffman. 2009. Improving the quality of meat from ratites. Chapter 18 in Improving the Sensory and Nutritional Quality of Fresh Meat: New Technologies, J.P. Kerry and D.A. Ledward (Ed.), Woodhead Publishing Limited, Cambridge, UK.
· Pinkerton, F. and K. McMillin. 2010 Goat industry update Pt. 2. Goat Rancher, May, pp. 6-8.
· Pinkerton, F. and K. McMillin. 2010. Goat industry update: Statistics & trends. Goat Rancher, March, pp. 6-8.
· Pinkerton, F. and K. McMillin. 2009. Carcass evaluation results analyzed. Goat Rancher, June, pp. 8-9.
· Pinkerton, F. and K. McMillin. 2009. Goat Industry Update Part 2. Goat Rancher, May, pp. 13-14, 16, 18-19.
· Pinkerton, F. and K. McMillin. 2009. 2009 Goat Industry Statistics, trends and commentary. Goat Rancher, March, pp. 37-38.
· Pinkerton, F., K. McMillin and A. Peischel. 2009. Feedlots for meat goats Opportunities, constraints and economics. Goat Rancher, February, pp. 14-17.
· Gadiyaram, K. M., G. Kannan, T.D. Pringle, B. Kouakou, K.W. McMillin, and Y.W. Park. 2008. Effects of postmortem carcass electrical stimulation on goat meat quality characteristics. Small Rumin. Res. 78:106-114.
· McMillin, K.W. 2008. Where is MAP going. A review and potential future for modified atmosphere packaging of meat. Meat Sci. 80:43-65.
· Guerra, M.O., K.W. McMillin, T.D. Bidner, M.E. Janes and M.A. Persica, III. 2007. Carbonated or gaseous enhancement solutions improve injected pork properties in modified atmosphere packaging. Intl. Congress of Meat Sci. and Technol. Proc. 53:523-524.
· McMillin, K. and F. Pinkerton. 2007. Industry Update 2006. Chapter Forty In The Meat Goats of Caston Creek, Sylvia Tomlinson, Redbud Publishing Company, Victoria, Texas, pp. 219-230.
· McMillin, K.W. and F. Pinkerton. 2007. Selection, Carcass Evaluation and Fabrication. In Meat Goat Production Handbook, T.A. Gipson, R.C. Merkel, K. Williams, and T. Sahlu (Ed.), Langston University, Langston, OK, pp. 155-162.
· Kannan, G., K.M. Gadiyaram, S. Galipalli, A. Carmichael, B. Kouakou, T. D. Pringle, K. W. McMillin and S. Gelaye. 2006. Meat quality in goats as influenced by dietary protein and energy levels, and postmortem aging. Small Rumin. Res. 61:45-52.
· McMillin, K.W. 2006. Personal Hygiene. Chap. 195 in Handbook of Food Science, Technology and Engineering, Vol. 4, Y.H. Hui, E. Castell-Perez, L.M. Cunha, I. Guerrero Legarreta, H.H. Liang, Y.M. Lo, D.L. Marshall, W.K. Nip, F. Shahidi, F. Sherkat, R.J. Winger, and K.L. Yam (Ed.), CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, pp. 195.1-195.13.
· McMillin, K.W. and F. Pinkerton. 2006. Development of a meat goat selection, carcass evaluation and fabrication guide. Intl. Congress of Meat Sci. and Technol. Proc. 52:679-680.
· Negatu, Z., J.I. McNitt, and K.W. McMillin. 2006. Determination of small bone fragments in mechanically separated rabbit meat. J. Muscle Foods 17:185-197.
· Huang, N.-Y., C.-P. Ho, and K.W. McMillin. 2005. Retail shelf-life of pork dipped in organic acid before modified atmosphere or vacuum packaging. J. Food Sci. 70:M382-M387.
· McMillin, K.W. and A.P. Brock. 2005. Value-added processing and consumer preference of goat meat. J. Anim. Sci. 83:E57-E68.
· McMillin, K.W. 2005. Goat, carcass, and goat meat marketing, classification, and quality. Proceedings of the 2005 Goat Conference, Reference Center in Agriculture and Agri-Food of Quebec, Saint-Hyacinthe, Quebec, Canada, pp. 95-102.
· McMillin, K. 2005. Goat carcass evaluation and institutional meat purchase specifications. Proceedings of the North Carolina Goat and Sheep Roundup I. North Carolina Cooperative Extension, Raleigh, North Carolina, August.
· Rahardiyan, D., A. Brock and K. McMillin. 2005. Indonesian bakso meatball composition, texture, and structure with frozen meat and product storage. Intl. Congress Meat Sci. and Technol. Proc. 51:807-810.
Ken McMillin was raised on a livestock and grain farm in Indiana and worked in the family meat processing plant and on the farm during high school and college. He has over 35 years of experience working in and with the meat and poultry industries. Ken’s specific expertise is in value-added processing of red meat, poultry and seafood; case-ready and modified atmosphere packaging; Cajun meat products; HACCP and food safety; and goat meat.
Professional Certifications and Affiliations:
B.S. in Agriculture (Food Science), 1974, Purdue University
M.S. in Animal Science (Meats), 1976, Purdue University
Ph.D. in Meat Science, 1980, Iowa State University