St. James Parish 4-H was well represented at the 4-H Area Commodity Contest held on April 3rd, at Southland Mall in Houma. The aroma of delicious food filled the mall as 4-H'ers from twelve parishes competed in the annual event.
The "4-H Welcomes Spring" themed event began with a consumer scavenger hunt throughout the mall in which participants were allowed to make consumer observations at various stores. While the participants completed the scavenger hunt, judges had an extremely difficult task of judging dishes based on taste, appearance, recipe requirements, and the Dietary Guidelines.
Winners of the 4-H Area Cookery from St. James Parish were:Seafood Division:
- Oyster: Allen White, St. James Community Club - 1st Place
- Crab: Chaz Nailor, Fifth Ward - 2nd place
- Shrimp: Kyrianna Harris, Fifth Ward - Blue Ribbon
- Crawfish: Breyette Jones, Fifth Ward - Blue Ribbon
- Low- Calorie: Victoria Rocquin, St. James Community Club - 2nd Place
- One-Dish Meal: Jesse White, St. James Community Club - Blue Ribbon
- Quick & Easy: Allen White, St. James Community Club - Blue Ribbon
- Main Dish: Gretchen Borne, Vacherie Elementary - Blue Ribbon
- Appetizer/Salad: Kyren Harris, Fifth Ward - Blue Ribbon
- Dessert: Victoria Rocquin, St. James Community Club - Blue Ribbon
- Cakes: Eriel Lovette, Paulina Elementary - Blue Ribbon
- Pies: Jared Parker, Fifth Ward - 2nd Place
Congratulations to all 4-H'ers for a job well done!
This is just one of the many opportunities available to St. James Parish youth through the 4-H program. For more information on this or any other 4-H program, call Robin W. Hart at 225/562-2320 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
The LSU AgCenter follows a non- discriminatory policy in its programs and employment.