The 2015 4-H Winter Food Festival will be held on Thursday, February 26, 2015
at the Alexandria Mall in Alexandria, Louisiana. Registration will take place at 5:00 p.m. and judging begins at 5:30 p.m. The commodity divisions include Egg Cookery, Poultry Cookery, Seafood Cookery, and Commodity Ambassador Talk.Rules for the Contest:
1. All dishes must be prepared by the 4-H member at home on the day before the contest.
2. All dishes should be prepared/cooked and then chilled in the refrigerator overnight.
3. The dish must be transported to the contest on ice in a food approved ice chest. Dishes not chilled and transported in this manner will be disqualified.
4. Contestants may only enter one dish per food commodity division for a total of 3 dishes.
5. Contestants must check in at the registration table prior to setting up their dish.
6. Take a short written test on general nutrition and food safety.
7. Items need for the contest:
- One copy of the recipe hand written or typed on an 8 1/2 -by 11 inch sheet of paper. No other size please! On the back, place your name, address, age and school.
- Fully cooked, refrigerator chilled dish-transported to contest on ice in ice chest. This will be enforced!
8. Awards will represented to participants at the end of the contest. Champion and reserve champion awards will presented in each category. Overall champions will progress tot he District Cookery on March 25.
Notes for District:
Contests for District should note that rules are different for the District Contest: 1. Only 1/2 of the dish is exhibited. 2. All dishes are exhibited in disposable containers that are disposed of at the end of the contest (this is for food safety) and 3. There is a limit to the number of dishes with which a 4-H'er may progress to District. Final decisions are at the discretion of the parish 4-H agent and the Commodity Cookery Advisory Committee.
For more information see the attached pdf file below or call the 4-H office at (318) 767-3968.