4-H Shooting Sports is an active program that is attractive to many: youth and adults, boys and girls, experienced and inexperienced, urban and rural. The program uses disciplines to help young people develop self-concept, self-assurance and a positive self-image. The curriculum is designed to assist young people in establishing a personal environmental ethic. You don’t have to know how to shoot a firearm but must be willing to learn. There are five Shooting Sports disciplines:
Goals and Objectives of 4-H Shooting Sports Program:
- To teach safe and responsible use of firearms.
- To promote the highest standards of safety, sportsmanship and ethical behavior.
- To encourage participation in natural resources and related natural science programs.
- To enhance development of self-concept, character and personal growth.
- To strengthen families through participation.
- To develop leadership and citizenship.
- To develop an understanding of the principles of wildlife management.
- To complement and enhance the impact of existing safety, shooting and hunter education program.
At this time, we have adult volunteers trained in shotgun and rifle. We hope to have volunteers trained in other disciplines in the near future.
Ouachita 4-H Shooting Sports program is offered to new members each year. To join this program special attendance and registration is required, so don’t miss out! To enroll in this program for the upcoming year, please contact Ouachita 4-H Agent Brandon Reeder.