Vickie Smith | 10/25/2017 6:14:39 PM
The Sugar and Seafood Contest will be held at Galliano Elementary on Saturday, Nov. 4, 2017. Dishes should be prepared at home or school by 4-H Club members and brought to the contest location between 9:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. One half of the recipe should be exhibited. Elementary, middle and senior high school members will compete separately. Members may enter one seafood dish and/or one sugar dish. Contest categories are:
|Sugar Cookery||Seafood Cookery|
|1. Cakes (homemade or mixes)||1. Oyster Dish|
|2. Candies||2. Crab Dish|
|3. Cookies||3. Shrimp Dish|
|4. Pies||4. Fish or Other Seafood|
|5. Other Sugar Dish||5. Crawfish Dish|
1. Sugar dishes must use at least one-half (1/2) cup of sugar. May be granulated, brown, powdered or any combination. Mixes are permitted as long as 1/2 cup of additional sugar is added to the recipe.
2. A copy of the recipe must be submitted with the dish, preferably on an index card. Please print or write clearly. Attach recipe to dish.
3. Print name, school and division, elementary, middle or senior, on recipe.
4. The food should be exhibited in a normal-sized serving container not to exceed 18” to allow adequate space for all entries. You will be asked to remove items not directly related to the dish such as placemats, flower arrangements, figurines, trays, footed chafing dishes, soup tureens, etc. Baskets or metal containers in which casserole/serving dishes fit exactly will be allowed. Non-eligible items are not to be used as garnish. No serving utensils are needed.
5. Ribbons will be awarded as follows: First place in each category, purple ribbon, blue ribbon. First place winners in each category and division will compete for Champion and Reserve Champion awards.
Dishes will be judged according to: (1) general appearance of dish; (2) quality, texture and flavor of dish; (3) nutritive value of dish; and (4) recipe is written correctly and includes exhibitor's name and school.
A Sugar and/or Seafood Illustrated Talk Division has been added to the Sugar and Seafood Contest. No dish is required for this contest. There will be three divisions in this contest:
Division I – (Grades 4-6) Contestant: (a) designs standard poster 22” x 28” relating to sugar and/or seafood; (b) presents a 2-3 minute explanation of poster subject; (c) responds to questions from judges.
Division II – (Grades 7-9) Contestant: (a) designs standard poster 22”x 28” relating to one of these five categories -- (1) production, (2) food preparation and nutritive value, (3) food safety, (4) processing, (5) marketing; (b) member prepares an essay not to exceed 500 words or three typed pages, (12-14 spaces per inch) double spaced, about sugar and/or seafood; (c) presents a 2-3 minute explanation of subject; (d) responds to questions from judges.
Division III – (Grades 10-12) Contestant will present a 5-8 minute illustrated talk on sugar and/or seafood. It can be a specific idea or an overview. Examples include Nutritional Value, Economic Value, Cooking Principles, Versatility, Food Safety, Role in Today’s Healthy Diet, Sugar and/or Seafood’s Place in Agriculture and Natural Resources, Role in our National Economy, Role in Protecting the Environment. There will also be an interview from the judge.