Vickie Smith | 10/25/2017 6:34:13 PM
The Sew with Cotton Contest will be held in conjunction with the Sugar and Seafood Contest on Nov. 4, 2017, at Galliano Elementary beginning at 9:00 a.m. Rules for the contest are listed below.
1. Contestants may be in the grades 4-12. Please bring an index card or slip of paper with your name, school and grade written on it with you to hand to the judge that day.
2. Outer garment must be 100% cotton or cotton blend, including interfacing, underlining, lining, tape, trimming, etc. Everything must be cotton except the thread, which may be dual duty polyester. Buttons may be of any suitable type. Ready-made belts (leather, chain, etc.) are acceptable.
3. 4-H’ers may enter the following:
Grade 4 - drawstring apron (pattern online), barbecue apron (from a commercial pattern), or Eco Friendly Tote Bag from a commercial pattern such as Simplicity 2402.
Grade 5 - sassy skirt (pattern online); elastic waist shorts from a commercial pattern; or elastic waist pajama pants from commercial pattern.
Grade 6 - A-line or gathered skirt or variation with a waistband and zipper from a commercial pattern; robe, duffle bag or computer bag from commercial pattern.
Grades 7-12 - contestants must make and model a complete outfit of any style appropriate for any occasion and any season of the year including a pair of pajamas.
4. Contestants will be judged on the construction of the garment and the fit and appearance of the garment.
5. Contestants will model the garments for the judges on the day of the contest. Everyone will receive a ribbon.
The LSU AgCenter and the LSU College of Agriculture