Our office is located on the west wing of the courthouse building.
Franklin Parish historical marker
Largest flying American Flag in Louisiana
Franklin Parish was established March 1, 1843 through the efforts of John Winn, a pioneer of this section of Louisiana.
A bill was passed in the legislature to create a political subdivision from parts of Catahoula, Ouachita and Madison Parishes. The new parish was named "Franklin" in honor of Benjamin Franklin.
In 1845, John Willis donated 160 acres of land, situated virtually in the center of the parish to serve as a parish seat. A townsite was plotted on this acreage and was given the name of "Winnsborough" in honor of Senator Winn.
Winnsboro was designated the parish seat of government in 1846. The Town of Winnsboro was incorporated in 1902. The first courthouse was a frame building which occupied the southeast corner of the present courthouse square. The present $600,000 structure was erected in 1950.