Claiborne Parish was created from Natchitoches Parish by Act No. 42 on March 13, 1828, and named in honor of the first American governor of Louisiana, William Charles Cole Claiborne. Homer, the present day parish seat of Claiborne Parish, was named for the Greek poet and was laid out around the Courthouse Square in 1850 by Frank Vaughn. The present day brick courthouse, built in the Greek Revival style, is one of four pre-civil war courthouses in Louisiana still in use today. The building, completed in 1860 and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
|About the Parish|
|Advisory Leadership Councils|
|Agriculture & Natural Resources|
|Community Service Clubs|
|Family & Consumer Sciences|