Caldwell Parish was established on March 6, 1838, by a bill in the Louisiana Legislature signed by Governor E. D. White. The parish is 529 square miles, with the Ouachita River flowing north to south, dividing the alluvial farmlands on the east from the hill country to the west, with both sections heavily timbered. Caldwell Parish is home for a population of about 10,000 residents. Farming and forestry have for generations been cornerstones of the economy. Although cotton is still the dominant crop in the parish, the parish produces other row crops including corn, soybeans and rice.