Calcasieu Parish

Calcasieu Parish was created March 24, 1840, from the Parish of Saint Landry, one of the original nineteen civil parishes established by the Legislature in 1807. The early history of the parish dates back to the time of the Spanish occupation of Louisiana when Jose M. Mora (1797) was granted a large tract of land between the Rio Hondo and the Sabine River, known for years as the "Neutral Strip". For several decades the chemical and refining industries and the jobs they support have remained the "bread and butter" of the Parish's and region's economy. Miles of rivers, streams, and lakes offer excellent fishing, boating and swimming facilities.


Facebook

Innovate . Educate . Improve Lives

The LSU AgCenter and the LSU College of Agriculture