LSU AgCenter Names Assistants To Research, Extension Directors

Richard Bogren  |  1/26/2007 3:53:57 AM

News Release Distributed 01/25/07

Two LSU AgCenter faculty members recently were named to short-term, part-time administrative positions in the AgCenter.

Dr. Jim Griffin is assistant to the director for plant sciences in the Louisiana Agricultural Experiment Station, and Dr. Bobby Fletcher is assistant to the director for special programs in the Louisiana Cooperative Extension Service.

Griffin will devote 20 percent of his time to this position for 12 months. Fletcher, on the other hand, will spend 80 percent of his time working on special programs for a period of six months to eight months. After those times, both will resume their previous responsibilities.

Griffin, a professor in the Department of Agronomy and Environmental Management, also holds a three-way appointment in research, teaching and extension. His research interests include integrated weed management, weed-crop competition, weed biology, herbicide persistence, and weed-pathogen-herbicide and weed-insect interactions.

Griffin has conducted research on soybeans, sugarcane, corn, rice, grain sorghum and wheat.

"Dr. Griffin brings a vast amount of experience in the plant science arena, which should serve the experiment station well as he assists the director’s office in managing the research portfolio in this important area," said Dr. David Boethel, LSU AgCenter vice chancellor and director of research.

"I’m looking forward to the challenge and the opportunity to become aware of the plant science-related projects within the experiment station and to interact more closely with faculty working in the plant science arena," Griffin said.

Fletcher, the LSU AgCenter’s area horticulture agent in Lafourche, Terrebonne and St. Mary parishes, will continue his horticultural work while building support from local governmental bodies for the AgCenter’s extension work.

"This will primarily include work toward completion of all parish cooperative agreements," said Dr. Paul Coreil, LSU AgCenter vice chancellor and director of extension.

Fletcher also will "provide leadership in a variety of areas as a full member of the extension administrative team," Coreil said.

"This is a great opportunity to work with regional directors and parish chairs to increase local funding for extension," Fletcher said.

Fletcher said the LSU AgCenter has committed to continue providing horticulture programs to Lafourche, Terrebonne and St. Mary parishes while he’s involved in other activities.

###

Contact:
David Boethel at (225) 578-4181 or dboethel@agcenter.lsu.edu
Paul Coreil at (225) 578-6083 or pcoreil@agcenter.lsu.edu
Jim Griffin at (225) 578-1768 or jgriffin@agcenter.lsu.edu
Bobby Fletcher at (985) 446-1316 or bhfletcher@agcenter.lsu.edu
Writer:
Rick Bogren at (225) 578-5839 or rbogren@agcenter.lsu.edu

Rate This Article:

Have a question or comment about the information on this page?

Innovate . Educate . Improve Lives

The LSU AgCenter and the LSU College of Agriculture

Top