CSRS is a "defined benefit" plan wherein the employee and employer make contributions into a "pool" of funds from which members receive a retirement income based on a benefit formula. No new enrollments are available. Allows for current member participation only.
- Employee contribution is 7%.
- The formula for maximum retirement benefits is the total of the following three-part computation:
- 1 1/2% X High-3 Year Average Salary X first 5 years of creditable service
- 1 3/4% X High-3 Year Average Salary X next 5 years of creditable service
- 2% X High-3 Year Average Salary X Remaining Years of creditable years
- Minimum eligibility requirements for regular retirement are:
- Age 62 and 5 years of creditable civilian service, or
- Age 55 and 30 years of creditable service, including 5 years of civilian service, or
- Age 60 and 20 years of creditable service, including 5 years of civilian service.
- Vested after 5 years of service
For a broader explanation of benefits please view the following documents:
- CSRS Handbook - This handbook was developed by the AgCenter HRM Office. It includes details of the Federal CSRS plus an explanation of the supplemental benefits provided by the Teachers' Retirement System of Louisiana (TRSL Supplement).
- CSRS Fact Sheets - This link will take you to a website with a list of publications provided by the U.S. Office of Personnel Management. Important Note: As you view these fact sheets, please remember that any references made to the Federal Employees' Health and/or Life Insurance benefits do not apply to employees of the AgCenter. Benefits for AgCenter employees are only those offered by the LSU System.
CSRS Related Forms