After you have been notified that a position has been approved and advertisement has begun, you will need to review the following checklist. This document will guide you through the advertisement, selection, and employment process.
Please note that applications will only be accepted on-line unless otherwise stated. If an applicant contacts you for assistance with the online system, please have them contact Stephen Smith in HRM.
You will want to share this information with each of the search committee members so they can review the process and abide by the established guidelines.
It is critical that you review this checklist before doing anything further with respect to filling the position. Each step listed must be completed.
AdvertisingBefore InterviewingBefore Making (Or Implying) a Job OfferAfter An Offer Has Been Made and AcceptedOther Requirements
1. HRM will advertise in the following:
If the unit contact person wants to advertise in newspapers, journal or on other web sites, the ad may be abbreviated however, do not change the actual minimum qualification requirements, overall job description or application deadline. You must include the statement: “Equal Opportunity Employer” or at a minimum “EOE” in the ad.
Please review each advertisement listed above to verify accuracy and to familiarize yourself in case an applicant contacts you with questions.
NOTE: A job offer CANNOT be made until after the required advertisement period is passed and each step listed herein is completed.
Back to top
BEFORE INTERVIEWING, READ STEPS #2-5
2. Download appropriate Interview Form Interviews should be conducted in accordance with standard AgCenter procedures described in the documents provided. Forms for review are:
3. Each person interviewed should be advised if they are selected a background check will be completed based on the information listed in the on-line application and that the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) is downloadable from the link provided in their profile application.
4. Download >>>Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9) <<<Individuals who are not either U.S. citizens or permanent residents must have legal work authorization.
5. Download >>>Schedule of Benefits<<<
BEFORE MAKING (OR IMPLYING) A JOB OFFER, READ STEPS #6-9
6. No verbal, written or implied offer of employment may be made prior to the completion of this checklist.
7. Sample Offer letter(s) Classified offers are made verbally.
AFTER AN OFFER HAS BEEN MADE AND ACCEPTED, READ STEPS #8 & 9.
8. Download >>>Schedule of Benefits<<<
Back to top
9. Immediately submit the following to HRM and prior to employment:
*****NOTE REQUIREMENTS WITH DATES AND/OR TIMELINES****
10. I-9, “Employment Eligibility Verification Form” (See specific instructions for time line.)
You must ensure that Section II is fully completed by the end of the third work day. Remember to attach copies of the documents the employee provides for Section II and maintain any unit copies confidentially.
11. Performance Evaluation System for Classified Employees.
12. Download appropriate Performance Evaluation
13. Download >>>New Employee Orientation Registration Form<<< (Complete in order for new employee to participate in first available after employment.)
This is for “regular” employees and is not applicable to temporary employees. However, if a temporary employee later changes to a regular appointment, he/she should participate in the appropriate orientation session at that time. It is your responsibility to follow up that the employee participates in this program.
14. Download >>>New Employee Orientation Checklist<<< (Complete and return to HRM within first 30 days of employment.)
The unit must complete the attached New Employee Orientation List 1 AgCenter Policies and Procedures, (and List 2 if applicable) with the employee. Upon completion a copy must be forwarded to AgCenter HRM for the employee's file.
15. Download >>>Violence-Free Workplace Policy <<<
****Supervisors should remember that since there can often be a period of several weeks to several months from the time a position is authorized to the time it is filled, it is possible some of the procedures or forms listed above may change by the time a new employee actually begins work.
Send to friend