See the attachment below with valuable facts teachers can use in the classroom.
Did You Know?
- Hens need 14 to 16 hours of light per day to begin laying eggs.
- Nearly 1/3 of all poultry production occurs in the United States.
- Chicks will peep inside the shell on the day before they hatch.
- Soils of Louisiana differ by color and feel.
- Plants need soil to grow.
- Soil is made up of layers called “horizons."
- The average family of four consumes 100 pounds of rice per year.
- One ton of sugarcane produces 16,000 teaspoons of sugar.
- One bale of cotton produces 3,557 socks or 215 jeans or 3,085 diapers.
- Over 6,500 full-time and part-time jobs are generated by Louisiana fish and shellfish farmers.
- Louisiana is the nation’s largest producer of crawfish, oysters, alligators and pet turtles.
- Louisiana has nearly 4,000 fish and shellfish farmers.
- Aquaculture is one of the fastest growing areas of USA agriculture.
- Crawfish and rice are routinely grown in the same fields.
- Channel catfish farming is the largest aquaculture industry in the USA.
- All farm-raised turtles in Louisiana are sold overseas.
- A crawfish can have over 500 babies.
- A catfish can have over 20,000 babies.
- A pet turtle can live 50 to 75 years.
- A single koi carp can be worth more than $100,000.
- Eggs reach retail stores within 24-48 hours after they are laid.
- There are no nutritional differences between white and brown shell eggs.