Jimmy Mccann, Mcguire, Pamela K. | 8/27/2018 3:54:57 PM
Learning to identify trees can be fun. Members who participate in this contest gain an appreciation of nature and will find that leaf and tree identification is basic to advancing their knowledge in other fields such as forestry, horticulture, botany, wildlife and ecology.
Entries for the 2018 Leaf Identification Contest are due to the Caldwell Parish 4-H office by Friday, Oct. 26.
1. Leaves must be collected during the current school year.
2. Submit a binder of 15 pages of leaves, one leaf per page.
3. Tape each leaf on a separate piece of construction or copy paper.
4. Identify each leaf using a pen or marker. Be specific when identifying leaves. For example, if a leaf is from a Southern Red Oak, write Southern Red Oak, not just oak. If the leaf is from a Longleaf Pine tree, write Longleaf Pine, not just pine tree.
5. Contestants must write their name, school and grade on the front cover of their binder.
6. Entries submitted after Oct. 26 will not be eligible to place first, second or third and will not be eligible for cash prizes.
60 points - A binder of a variety of leaves
10 points - 15 different leaves, one leaf per page
30 points - Neatness of work
100 points - Total
Prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in all divisions.
This contest is sponsored by the Caldwell 4-H Foundation.
The LSU AgCenter and the LSU College of Agriculture